7/21/09

home sweet


I love taking walks around my neighborhood. I feel very lucky to live in a place full of history where all of the houses along the street are distinct. The picture of the whale weather vane (below) is across the street from where Owen Wister, father of western fiction, built a house for his family. Unfortunately, his plans to live in it were sidetracked by the premature death of his wife, and Wister could only visit the home occasionally. I keep meaning to read his most well-known novel, The Virginian.

Some other cool residents linked to my neighborhood are Teresa Carreño - a "fiery" Venezuelan pianist - and the poet Carrie Jacobs Bond. My mom Venezuelan, so when I told her about Carreño it blew her mind. "How the heck did she end up in this corner of the world when San Diego was barely on the map at the time?" Although Carreño died before she was able to move into her home here, Carrie Jacobs Bond was a permanent resident. Cheesy as it is, I like the poem she wrote about her home:



"... And weary though my soul may be, My spirit there is blessed.
The wild birds chant their caroles,
The wild flowers bloom galore.
Out in God's lovely garden - How could I ask for more?"


*historical info from
the Journal of San Diego History

No comments: